Welcome producers and hobbyists alike to our fifth installment of Stay Plugged In. This week we bring you three synth plugins that you may download and play with to your heart’s content, as they are completely free.
Roazhon DSP BrainStormer
Our first offering is a real kicker of a synth. Brainstormer has features galore that will appeal to the seasoned producer and newbie alike. All of the controls are neatly laid out on the interface, making it an intuitive synth to manipulate and easily create interesting and powerful sounds. Brainstormer is available in Windows VST format 32 and 64 bit versions.
- 3 switchable stereo oscillators with retrigger, octave, detune, fine, pan, phase, stretch, and stereo controls
- All oscillators have selectable waveforms
- Individual oscillator control sections
- 2 LFOs with wide frequency range, retrigger, BPM sync, phase, clipping, independent destination level controls, self-modulation
- Amplifier ADSR
- Filter section with selectable bandpass, ADSR
- Panic, main volume, polyphony selection, note mode, portamento, and pitchbend controls
Ugo Audio Rez 3
Rez is a very robust synth in a small package. It can create a wide spectrum of sounds useful in a large cross-section of genres. Sounds from dirty to clean can easily be programmed. The interface is simply laid out so the learning curve is low, allowing the producer to create great sounds even in the first session. Three FXP format banks are included with the download package, providing a total of 384 presets to start with. Rez is available in Windows VST format.
- Virtual analog oscillators, sub-oscillator
- 2 types of phase modulation
- Overdrive with 3 tone modes
- Dual delay with stereo width adjustment
- Phaser with switchable LFO and velocity modulation
- Arpeggiator plus step sequencer
- MIDI learn on all controls
Kruudster is a hybrid synthesizer plugin available in Windows VST format. It features a wealth of control options and is capable of creating a diverse palate of sounds. 128 presets are included, but you will definitely want to invest some time in tweaking the slides to coax out new and unique sounds.
- 3 oscillators
- 3 LFOs
- 3 ADSRs
- Filter with 13 different modes, keytracking and filter mix
- 2 modulate-able delays of which 1 can be tuned for physical modeling
- 128 presets