The annual Beatport Awards do an excellent job of making the awards process as well-rounded as possible, with choices drawn from Beatport staff experts, user votes, and total unit sales. The results always include some humble fan favorites among the mainstream juggernauts, and this year’s pool of winners, announced yesterday, was no different.
Daft Punk‘s Random Access Memories unsurprisingly cemented its popularity by taking home the award for best-selling album. Meanwhile, Martin Garrix added two more awards to his ever-growing list of accolades for his hit single, Animals–one for Best-Selling Original Song and another for DJ Choice Award (given to the track that appears in the most Beatport DJ charts). Not bad for someone who’s only been in the big room world for a couple of years. Trance powerhouse Armin van Buuren received an “Album Of The Year” nod from the fans for Intense: Extended Versions.
The user community made sure to bring attention to Holland-based house label Spinnin’ Records by choosing them for Label Of The Year, while Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike took home Artist Of The Year, and fist-pumping anthem Mammoth by said duo for Track Of The Year.
The Beatport staff also had some interesting choices. Borderland, by Juan Atkins and Moritz von Oswald, can be a rather esoteric listen, rooted in dub, jazz, and minimal techno influences. Nonetheless, they were given an award for Collaboration Of The Year. It was nice to see Flume awarded Best New Artist, so as to break up the four-on-the-floor monopoly. My only disappointment about the awards is the lack of an honorable mentions section. Maybe next year? Here’s the full list of winners:
Beatport Sales Awards
Based on unit sales from Jan 1 – Dec 31, 2013
– Best-Selling Album of the Year: Random Access Memories (Daft Punk)
– Best-Selling Original Track of the Year: Animals (Martin Garrix)
– Best-Selling Remix of the Year: Got A Feeling (Bontan Remix / Pleasurekraft Edit) (Josh Butler, Bontan, Pleasurekraft)
– Best-Selling Compilation of the Year: Toolroom Ten (Various Artists)
– DJ Choice Award: Animals (Martin Garrix)
Beatport Editorial Awards
Selected by a panel of Beatport staff experts
– Beatport’s DJ of the Year: Nina Kraviz
– Beatport’s Musical Collaboration of the Year: Borderland (Juan Atkins and Moritz von Oswald)
– Beatport’s Best New Artist: Flume
– Beatport’s Lifetime Achievement: Cajmere (aka Green Velvet)
– Beatport’s Track of the Year: Jack (Breach)
Community Choice Awards
Selected by online fan voting taking place from Feb 13 – Feb 28
– Album of the Year: Intense: Extended Versions (Armin van Buuren)
– Track of the Year: Mammoth (Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike, Moguai)
– Label of the Year: Spinnin’ Records
– Artist of the Year: Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike